Video exclusive: Hull forecourt retailer rockets up Best Companies to Work for rankings
For full screen video click icon lower right, press ESC to return to this screen
Sewell Group, owner of a chain of convenience forecourts in Hull and East Yorkshire, has been ranked the eighth best company to work for in the UK in the Sunday Times top 100 league.
In a video exclusive, Insight Research talks to Sewell Retail managing director, Patrick Sewell, about the Group’s achievement and latest innovations and IT investment in the forecourt and convenience store chain.
The company has also has been named in the Best Companies list for the second year running, receiving the highest score possible in 2010 for employee engagement.
Sewell Group, which operates 12 forecourt stores and is the 18th largest independent forecourt retailer in the UK with sales in excess of £55m for 2008 and more than 200 employees, has shot into the Sunday Times top 10 after being ranked 45th in the 2009 list. The Group is also the highest placed business in Yorkshire and was ranked the third best place to work in the UK for employee well-being.
The list is rated on an in-depth selection process, which asked every member of staff at Sewell Group for their opinions on what it is like to work for the organisation. It also involves a review of processes and procedures.
Last year, Sewell Group became the first organisation from Hull to make the list, and was one of only two in the Yorkshire region in the top 100.
Sewell Group’s managing director, Paul Sewell, said: “I am absolutely delighted that we have been rated so highly by the Sunday Times and Best Companies. It is a great improvement on 2009, which in itself was an incredible achievement. We employ some brilliant people and I am delighted that their hard work over the last 12 months has resulted in such a dramatic and demonstrable improvement. I am so proud of what we have achieved and I am really pleased that we have been able to fly the flag for Hull for the second year running.
“I firmly believe that being an excellent employer is about excelling in every area of work throughout the workplace. We try extremely hard to demonstrate a commitment to our people in everything that we do. Focusing on employees brings real benefits such as, improved workplace engagement, better staff retention, reduced recruitment costs and greater financial performance. We remain fully focused on continuous improvement.”
Sewell Retail, the forecourt division of the Sewell Group, prides itself on:
- Customer experience
- Ability to serve the community at all times
- Convenience, range, availability and value of services
- Professional and friendly image and approach
- Quick, efficient service
- The first store opened in 1989 at Sutton, Hull
- Sewell Retail is part of the Sewell Group of companies which was first established in 1876
- A family owned regional forecourt and convenience store operator within Hull and East Yorkshire
- Currently recognised as the 18th largest independent forecourt retailer in the United Kingdom with sales in excess of £55m for 2008 and more than 200 employees, currently operating from 12 stores
- Sewell currently ranks 8th in the Sunday Times Top Companies to work for 2010
- Most stores are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year
July 2010 Issue